Friday 5 April 2019

New Possibilities and Directions for the Story #BYBin30

This image of a fox has nothing to do with the story I am writing; I just like it, so I decided to use it on this post.

I have only written a little bit today, but my story is taking on some interesting *possible* twists. I put the word "possible" inside asterisks because I am not sure what I will do with those possibilities going forward. I might run with them and use them in the story to create new plot twists, or I might keep things on a more even keel going forward and these possible leads to new directions will lead nowhere. This is all part of the fun of "pantsing" a story. I have no outline and no detailed plot in mind, so my story can take me absolutely anywhere, especially since the story is premised on a magical, supernatural event to begin with.

Here is an excerpt from today's writing that will give you a small idea of how my story could evolve:

In the Kdrama this world was based on, Kai had died on that battlefield and would have been dead for days by now. What if the Kdrama was trying to re-assert its intended storyline by correcting the “mistake” of Kai surviving? There were so many things about all of this that she didn’t understand. What were the rules in a world where she’d already turned the rules upside down?

My character Faith is wondering the same thing I am; what are the rules in this world where nothing is impossible? Are there any rules? How much of reality do I want to bend in this story? How much can I bend the reality of this world before I lose my readers? I don't want to go too far for my readers' suspension of disbelief.

And here's another quick snippet from today's writing:

If every film or TV show created a mini world based on the storyline, what happened when the story was over?

Faith is interacting with a side-character in a Kdrama, not even the main character. The original story was written for a different character than the one she is spending time with, and that main character's story has already ended. So what happens to the story now? And what happens to her, as an intruder in that story?

And yes, I know I have to figure all of this out in order to continue writing my story. What do you think? Do you think the story should be trying to correct for the changes that had happened within it, as if the story-world is a living thing with a mind of its own? Or should I just leave it with the one bad guy who is already involved in the story being the main problem these two face (aside from the whole not-being-from-each-others'-world thing)? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

I'd also love to find out how your stories are coming along.

(For those of you unfamiliar with the phrase, "suspension of disbelief," it is a phrase intended for stories. Wikipedia defines it this way: "The term suspension of disbelief or willing suspension of disbelief has been defined as a willingness to suspend one's critical faculties and believe something surreal: sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment." It means you can watch a film or read a book with supernatural elements, or even just slightly unbelievable events within the storyline, and you can suspend your critical thinking on those aspects long enough to enjoy the story.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will show up when approved.