Sunday 2 April 2017

Day 2 - How a working book cover can help your muse #BYBin30


The above picture is of a working book cover I made for the novel I was writing last year during Blog Your Book in 30 Days and Camp NaNoWriMo.  It is not the official cover for the book. The final book cover will probably look nothing like the above image. But it was fun to make and having an image to have in place for the book cover gave me a bit of a kick in the pants to keep writing.

During Camp NaNoWriMo, members are encouraged to create a book cover to use as a thumbnail image for their project. Having a working cover is an inspirational tool to use. Your story is calling to you to write it and now it has ammunition in the form of an image to call to you with.

Another trick, if you don't want to make a simple image for your book cover, or you don't have the necessary skills to do so, is to look up images of people who look like the vision you have for your characters.

Below are some random images of men and women, found easily on royalty-free image sites such as Pixabay.com:
                                





 And here are some "working" images I made for some of my children's NaNoWriMo stories last year (two of whom used the covers for their published books):


Just make sure that you don't spend so much time on this that you don't get your writing done. It can be a fun and inspirational tool to use during your writing, but, used incorrectly, it can also become another distraction that keeps you from writing.

*****

There will be a giveaway of random things on the posts on the 7th, the 14th and the 28th of this month.



1 comment:

  1. I often have an idea for a cover visualised as I write. I don't go so far as to make a mock-up cover though, although I do sketch it out roughly to have on hand when it comes to chatting with my artist.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will show up when approved.